Stauros serves people who are addicted to alcohol and other drugs, and offers support to their families. A Stauros meeting runs every Thursday evening at Broadway, offering a safe and supportive environment for people struggling with addictions to find God’s strength for recovery.
‘Stauros’ is the New Testament Greek work for “cross of Christ”.
6 ways that Stauros helps:
1. Emphasise the importance of befrienders- establishing rapport between clients and pastoral care workers
2. Use pastoral care to enable clients to answer “do I have a problem with drink?”
3. Use pastoral care to develop clients’ own motivation to change
4. Help clients make plans for change
5. Address any underlying rational/emotional/behavioural patterns
6. Help build a Christian lifestyle